1. Stand upright with your hands on your hips.
1. Step back with one leg and land on your forefoot, while bending the supporting front leg.
2. While flexing your hips and knee of your front leg, lower your body until the knee of your rear leg almost touches the floor.
3. Extend your hips and knee of your front leg and step your rear leg forward, returning to original standing position.
4. Repeat with the opposite leg in an alternating manner.
1. Keep your torso upright throughout the exercise.
2. Knee of your front leg should always point in the same direction as your foot.
3. A long lunge emphasizes on your gluteus maximus muscle, while a short lunge emphasizes on your quadriceps muscle.