1. Grasp a dumbbell in each hand at the side of your body.
2. Stand upright facing the bench/chair/step/elevated platform.
1. Place one foot on the bench/chair. Extend your hip and knee of that leg and place the other foot on the bench/chair, standing upright on the bench/chair.
2. Flex your hip and knee of the first leg, stepping down with the second leg and placing the other foot on the floor. Repeat with the opposite leg in an alternating manner.
1. Keep your torso upright and your lead knee should point at the same direction as your foot throughout the exercise.
2. A long step from the bench/chair emphasizes on your gluteus maximus muscle, while a short step emphasizes on your quadriceps muscle.