1. Grasp a dumbbell in each hand at the side of your body and stand upright.
1. Step forward and to the side with one leg, landing on your heel then your forefoot.
2. While flexing your hips and knee of your front leg, lower your body until the knee of your rear leg almost touches the floor.
3. Extend your hips and knee of your front leg and step backward, returning to original standing position.
4. Repeat with the opposite leg in an alternating manner.
1. Keep your torso upright throughout the exercise.
2. Knee of your front leg should always point in the same direction as your foot.
3. A long lunge emphasizes on your gluteus maximus muscle, while a short lunge emphasizes on your quadriceps muscle.