1. Stand upright and hold one dumbbell in each hand with palms facing in and arms straight.
1. While keeping your upper arms inactive at the side of your body, raise one dumbbell until it reaches your shoulder.
2. Lower your arm to the original position and repeat with the opposite arm (alternating arms).
1. You can perform this exercise in alternating fashion (as described), or in simultaneous fashion.
2. When your elbow is fully flexed, you can move it slightly forward, allowing your forearm to be no more than vertical. This helps to release tension in muscles between repetitions.